Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Traces and Works of Love


For over a year now, one of my favorite professor's has encouraged me to read Traces by Ernst Bloch. He has described this work with such glowing terms and feels that I will simply love it. I'm enjoying it, don't get me wrong, I'm simply not understanding it. All philosophy must hinge on some conception of human nature, some conception of what people are. Bloch ascribes to utopian hermeneutics as a source of first principles to guide his prescriptions. From what I've been able to gather, the use of 'traces' or 'marks' (be it myths, dreams, observations) can elicit emancipatory moments for the future. It's the "how" that I'm a "little" confused on.



On the other hand, Kierkegaard's Works of Love: Some Christian Reflections in the Form of Discourses is beautifully conceived.

No comments: