Monday, August 11, 2008

Word of the day: Nonna

I call my Nonna twice a week for our regular chit-chat. It never lasts more than 5 minutes since she can barely speak in English and I in Italian. Yet, we manage to communicate about the weather, her garden, and my studies. She reminds me to place all money in "la banca," and I encourage her to treat herself to something....anything. She laughs and thanks me for having called her.

When I was 19 and moving away to attend university, she took me aside and in a hushed voice wanted to "tella Krystuccia to never e accepta candies da strangers."

It's been almost two months since my Nonno, her husband, has been living in an elderly home. She is now alone after a marriage of 61 years. She's never been the easiest person to understand or the most accommodating due to the sheer force of her unyielding stubbornness. Yet, she's my favorite person in the world.

3 comments:

montague said...

such sweetness in your words. i miss my nonna now.

Krysta said...

Thank you for your kind words, Amy. (:

limonana said...

awwwwwwwwww......i have to call my nonna now...too sweet...