Thursday, April 1, 2010

Currently reading / currently loving

Yes, this blog is supposed to be defunct, but one last little book deserves immense praise. About two weeks ago, I came across Painter's book at my university's bookstore. I fell in love with the book's title, with the book's design, with the book's content. For some (un)reason, I decided to put off purchasing myself a copy. Mistake, #1. Yet as the days went by, I couldn't stop thinking about this book and by the time I returned to my university's bookstore it was sold out. Mistake, #2. Thanks to Chapters and their ability to deliver books in 24 hours, I now know what I'll be reading to avoid Easter (but surely not the chocolate).

What's the moral of this story? If you want a book, just buy the book.

"Ever since the Enlightenment, race theory and its inevitable partner, racism, have followed a crooked road, constructed by dominant peoples to justify their domination of others. Filling a huge gap in historical literature that long focused on the non-white, eminent historian Nell Irvin Painter guides us through more than two thousand years of Western civilization, tracing not only the invention of the idea of race but also the frequent worship of "whiteness" for economic, social, scientific, and political ends." - The History of White People, Nell Irvin Painter

3 comments:

limonana said...

stop playing with my heart!!! are you back????? please be back!!

Krysta said...

oh, dear, I've suddenly become the awful spouse who is all attentive and engaging one minute, followed by a stern cold absence the next. I'm discovering that blogging is a terrible habit to break (especially when all of my assignments are due shortly).

If I survive the weekend away at a cottage (without being mauled by some strange animal), I'll probably continue on a monthly basis. The thing is I really wanted this blog to end, but I suppose I'm just so interesting. . . . . so very interesting (that's a joke). (;

design nomad said...

Krysta: I was in mourning over the end of your blog and then this morning I checked and behold! You can't quit us!!!!! Hurray!

I totally understand the conflict between work and blogging, I have suffered the same dilemma too but always end up going back and posting something eventually. I look at it as a personal forum for subjects and things I cannot keep to myself.

You are too valuable a voice to be lost :)