Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Currently reading / currently loving

Oh. . .the title. . . the title alone does my heart and head in. LaRocque’s new book ought to be compulsory reading in Canada.

“In When the Other is Me, Dr. LaRocque brings a metacritical approach to Native writing, situating it as resistance literature within and outside the postcolonial intellectual context. She outlines the overwhelming evidence of dehumanization in Canadian historical and literary writing, its effects on both popular culture and Canadian intellectual development, and Native and non- Native intellectual responses to it in light of the interlayered mix of romanticism, exaggeration of Native “difference,” and the continuing problem of internalization that challenges our understanding of the colonizer/colonized relationship.”

Sometime ago, my dear friend Ana kindly sent me McCall Smith’s book. I finally began reading it over the weekend.

Lastly, I’m always looking for interesting book recommendations. But please, no self-help books (I will openly mock you), anything involving vampires, or thrillers (I find no entertainment value in stories revolving around murders).

No comments: